Friday, December 3, 2010

My Kingdom- by Louisa May Alcott

The last paragraph of this poem has caught my attention on two of my friends' Facebook profiles. As I searched it out and read the entire poem, it couldn't have come to me at a better time in my life. Just when I needed it the most. We all have inner struggles and all too often are very hard on ourselves. I hope that the words of this poem will sink deep within your souls and that you will find great comfort in them and take command of the little kingdom you possess! Hope you enjoy!

My Kingdom

A little kingdom I possess, where thoughts and feelings dwell.
And very hard I find the task of governing it well.
For passion tempts and troubles me, A wayward will misleads.
And selfishness its shadow casts on all my words and deeds.

How can I learn to rule myself, to be the child I should,
Honest and brave, nor ever tire of trying to be good?
How can I keep a sunny soul to shine along life's way?
How can I tune my little heart to sweetly sing all day?

Dear Father, help me with the love that casteth out my fear.
Teach me to lean on thee and feel that thou art very near.
That no temptation is unseen no childish grief too small.
Since thou, with patience infinite, doth soothe and comfort all.

I do not ask for any crown but that which all may win
Nor seek to conquer any world except the one within.
Be thou my guide until I find Led by a tender hand,
Thy happy kingdom in myself and dare to take command.


3 comments:

Stacey said...

I love this blog but man this font is hard to read.

Miss Davis County Pageant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie Murray said...

Sorry about that! I've been experimenting with different fonts and just left this one on here. I will change it to make it easier! Thank you!